Plan Canvas founder, Jon Umstead, recently had the honor of being a guest on entrepreneur coach and author Virginia Phillips’ podcast “Yes, You Can”. Her book Yes, You Can!: Your Roadmap to Dream, Create, and Profit was released earlier this year and is a tremendous guide for anyone dealing with even a hint of doubt.
Virginia asked a lot of great, deep probing questions about the book Business is ART and the Plan Canvas software that is based on it. If you aren’t familiar with the story and what we are all about, Virginia does a great job of guiding you through it, in terms that are meaningful to you.
A few of the highlight points from the interview include:
- There has to be an emotional connection to the work for it to be effective.
- Plan Canvas itself is a startup, going through all of the same challenges that all startups experience. The twist is that it is geared at helping startups and small businesses. Our challenge is avoiding the old axiom that the doctor is his or her own worst patient.
- Plan Canvas is designed to help you organize your thoughts, devise a reasonable plan to close the gap between your vision and reality, and execute to that plan.
- No one has a perfect story – if they do, they are lying to you.
- What we really want is for people to take action on the things they say they want to accomplish.
- Very detailed business plans that focus on the financials serve the purposes of the loan underwriter or capital investor/financial analyst very well – but they don’t help the business owner/leader manage the business.
- A primary reason to have a simplified plan is focus.
Listen to the interview in its entirety by clicking here.